As soon as I received an offer from Timberdoodle to review the Chemistry 101 DVD’s, I jumped at the chance! I had been thinking about teaching my 14 year old son Chemistry for his 9th grade year next year and I felt this would be a great opportunity to “test the waters” so to speak. As soon as a popped the DVD in and saw the introduction to the Chemistry 101 series, I knew that this would be a great fit for him.
Here is what is included on the Chemistry 101 DVD’s:
Chemistry 101 is a complete overview of the world of chemistry from a Biblical perspective, in a set of four DVDs. It is easy to use, understandable, and visually rich.
- (Part 1) – The Road to the Periodic Table
- 1. Introduction & The Last Alchemist (35 min.)
- 2. Birth of Modern Chemistry (30 min.)
- 3. The Bold Russian (35 min.)
- 4. Lots of Mystery Rays (45 min.)Disc B
- 5. The Likeable Rutherford (30 min.)
- 6. The Periodic Table at Last! (20 min.)
- 7. The Periodic Table – Main Group (45 min.)
- 8. The Periodic Table – Quantum Mechanics (40 min.)Disc C
- (Part 2) – Chemistry Essentials
- 9. Neutrons, Isotopes and Ions (40 min.)
- 10. Compounds and Molecules Part 1 (20 min.)
- 11. Compounds and Molecules Part 2 (35 min.)
- 12. Balancing Equations (30 min.)
- 13. Essentials Wrap-up (35 min.)Disc D
- (Part 3) – Meet the Elements
- 14. The Four Main Columns (30 min.)
- 15. Non-Metals and Poor Metals (30 min.)
- 16. Transition Metals (40 min.)
- 17. Rare Earth & Radioactive Metals (45 min.)
- (Part 4) – The Future
- 18. The Future of Chemistry Part 1 (30 min.)
- 19. The Future of Chemistry Part 2 (40 min.)
· Printable Guidebook and Accreditation Booklet
As I noted before, my 14 year old son has a diagnosis of Pervasive Development Delay and Sensory Processing (Integration) Disorder. So whatever homeschool curriculum I choose for him will need to be helpful for those areas of his learning. I find that he tends to do well with subjects that are DVD based, computer based and interactive. He also has a Visual Spacial & Kinesthetic learning style and the Chemistry 101 DVD’s surely helped him in this area.
Now…for the challenge I had to try them on him just to see if it would get his attention and not only that but also cause him to learn while he sat there to watch the videos. Well, to my surprise he not only sat there quietly, he actually processed what the instructor was teaching him. So this was a big plus in my book! Also, to my surprise, my middle son and my younger children all wanted to watch too! I could not believe it but my 4 year old knew some of the questions that I had asked my 14 year old! Ha!
In conclusion, I will say that I would recommend the Chemistry 101 DVD’s to the age group of 10 and up. I however am going to save these DVD’s for my 14 year for the 2013-2014 school year for Science since he will start High School courses. Please visit Timberdoodle’s website for more information about the Chemistry 101 DVD’s.
Disclaimer – As a part of Timberdoodle’s Review Team, Because Mom Said, I received Chemistry 101 for free in exchange for using it in my home and sharing our experience and opinions with you. Although I was not financially compensated for this post I did receive Chemistry 101 DVD’s free for review purposes. The opinions are my own, based on my personal experience with the product.